The IRCA Energy Management Systems Certification Scheme is for auditors using ISO 50001.
The scheme is based on the auditing standard ISO 50001: Energy management systems — Requirements with guidance for use. To be certificated to this scheme, you'll need to demonstrate you have the skills to audit the proper implementation of ISO 50001.
Who the scheme is for
- Energy management system auditors, eg those employed by third-party certification bodies and registrars or by purchasing organisations
- Energy management practitioners, eg energy consultants and other energy personnel
- Employees conducting energy management system audits within their own organisation, ie internal audits.
You are required to demonstrate the following knowledge and competencies (see the 'Sector understanding' and 'Work experience' sections of the application form):
- Knowledge of energy management and the principles of energy efficiency
- Understanding the principles of fuel combustion, heat transfer and energy flow
- Understanding the relevant sources of energy regulation, guidelines and standards
- Understanding the typical methods and technologies for increasing energy efficiency
- Ability to interpret energy measurement units, sources, costs, tariffs and scheduling
- Ability to scrutinise energy use data analysis methods
- Ability to analyse energy baselines, energy targets, performance indicators, monitoring and performance measurement
- Understanding the impact of organisational processes and equipment on energy efficiency
- Understanding of methods and techniques of energy management that enable the auditor to examine an energy management system, and to generate appropriate audit findings and conclusions (eg the Energy Institute’s Certificate in Energy Management Essentials, or equivalent, or higher-level energy management-related qualifications).
Note: As a guide, courses such as the Energy Institute’s Certificate in Energy Management Essentials (or equivalent) would meet this requirement, as would higher level energy management-related qualifications.
Acceptable alternative standards
We may accept audits to alternative standards not listed on the IRCA certification scheme. To find out more please visit the Acceptable Alternative Standards page.