The IRCA Environmental Management System Certification Scheme is for auditors using ISO 14001 to assess organisations' environmental management systems.
The scheme is based on the auditing standard ISO 14001: Environmental management systems – Requirements.
Please note that ISO 14001:2015 has now replaced the previous version, ISO 14001:2004 and as of 1st September 2018 all applicants must demonstrate that their training meets our requirements for ISO 14001:2015 transition.
Who the scheme is for
- Environmental auditors, such as those employed by third-party certification bodies and registrars or by purchasing organisations (second-party auditors)
- Environmental practitioners, such as environmental consultants, environmental managers and other environmental personnel
- Employees conducting environmental management system audits within their own organisations (internal audits).
As an environmental management systems auditor you will need to demonstrate that you:
- Have knowedge of environmental aspects and impacts
- Are able to judge aspect significance
- Have knowledge of local environmental legislation
- Understand the methods and techniques of environmental management that enable you to examine an environmental management system, and to generate appropriate audit findings and conclusions
- Understand environmental science and technology that enable you to understand the fundamental relationships between human activities and the environment
- Understand technical and environmental aspects of operations that enable you to understand the interaction of an organisation’s activities, products, services and operations with the environment.
We accept some EMS standards as alternatives to ISO 14001. If you are auditing to a standard other than ISO 14001, please check the list below to see if it is an acceptable alternative. If the standard that you are auditing to is not on the list, but you think ought to be, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PLEASE NOTE: Following the introduction of ISO 14001:2015, all current IRCA Certificated EMS Auditors are required to attend IRCA Certified ISO 14001:2015 Transition Training by 1 September 2018 in order to maintain their certification.