The IRCA Environmental Management System Certification Scheme is for auditors using ISO 14001:2015 to assess organisations' environmental management systems.
The scheme is based on the auditing standard ISO 14001:2015 Environmental management systems – Requirements.
Who the scheme is for
- Environmental auditors, such as those employed by third-party certification bodies and registrars or by purchasing organisations (second-party auditors)
- Environmental practitioners, such as environmental consultants, environmental managers and other environmental personnel
- Employees conducting environmental management system audits within their own organisations (internal audits).
As an environmental management systems auditor you will need to demonstrate that you have:
- Knowledge of environmental aspects and impacts
- Ability to judge aspect significance
- Knowledge of local environmental legislation
- Understanding of methods and techniques of environmental management that enable the auditor to examine an environmental management system, and to generate appropriate audit findings and conclusions
- Understanding of environmental science and technology that enables the auditor to understand the fundamental relationships between human activities and the environment
- Understanding of technical and environmental aspects of operations that enables the auditor to understand the interaction of an organization’s activities, products, services and operations with the environment.