Digital transformation is challenging the quality profession and its traditional principles, practices and tools. The CQI wants to help the profession understand and prepare for Quality 4.0.
Research on Quality 4.0
The CQI has commissioned a programme of research, supported by our Research Advisory Panel, to explain what Quality 4.0 is and to give some examples of it.
Phase one (complete)
- Read about the phase one research and the working definition of Quality 4.0 (PDF download).
- Learn more about the eight Quality 4.0 principles (PDF download).
Phase two (in progress – coming soon)
- Case studies to show practical examples of Quality 4.0
- Comparison of the eight Quality 4.0 principles with the seven ISO quality principles
- New knowledge, skills and behaviours professionals need for Quality 4.0
What is Quality 4.0?
Based on phase one of our research, here is our working definition of Quality 4.0:
Quality 4.0 is the leveraging of technology with people to improve the quality of an organisation, its products, its services and the outcomes it creates.
This definition sees quality professionals as having two roles:
- To help organisations adopt and use digital technologies – so they create value for customers and other stakeholders
- To adopt and use digital technologies in quality management – to effectively deliver governance, assurance and improvement
Read about the phase one research and the working definition of Quality 4.0. Learn more about the eight Quality 4.0 principles.
Why Quality 4.0?
Quality 4.0 is becoming more important to:
- Organisations – digital transformation is a key concern for senior leaders
- The test, inspection and certification sector – which is focused on Digital assurance and Accreditation 4.0
- Consulting firms – whether KPMG’s Smart Quality or Accenture’s Connected Quality
- The global quality community – from ASQ to the EOQ through to IAQ
Quality 4.0 is not…
- A new term for quality management. We want to understand how Quality 4.0 impacts core quality principles
- Replacing quality management methods. We’re keeping our tried and tested tools, but we’ll support organisations to learn new approaches and practices
- The CQI’s new framework. We're currently updating our Competency Framework with new skills, knowledge and behaviours that professionals need in a Quality 4.0 world
Quality 4.0 FAQs
The CQI is now actively part of the Quality 4.0 conversation and is working with global quality bodies and associates to spread the message far and wide.