The IRCA Occupational Health and Safety Certification Scheme is for auditors using ISO 45001 or BS18001.
Who the scheme is for
- OH&S professionals intending to demonstrate competence in audit management performance
- Management systems auditors (eg quality, environmental, IT) who have a strong understanding of OH&S issues and can demonstrate that they are competent to participate in OH&S or integrated management
- OH&S management system auditors who wish to have their competence as auditors recognised.
Scheme specific (additional) requirements
Auditors are required to demonstrate the following knowledge and competencies:
- Generic auditing skills at the grade applied for
- OH&S management methods and techniques that enable the auditor to examine OH&S management systems, and to generate appropriate audit findings and conclusions
- OH&S technical competencies, such as the management of risk, health and safety activities in the workplace, including chemical/physical/biological hazards; legal and organisational factors within the country or area of operation, etc.
Relevant work experience.
Technical competence can be demonstrated by providing evidence of your relevant work experience. This could include:
- A full-time role as a manager, supervisor, engineer or technician, involved in technical aspects of facility operation in compliance with OH&S regulations
- Implementation and maintenance of OH&S or integrated management systems involving health and safety compliance management
- Monitoring compliance with health and safety law and regulation, on behalf of a regulating body
- Auditing OH&S management systems on behalf of an accredited certification body
- Assessment of supplier probity against an acceptable OH&S management system standard on behalf of an employing organisation
- Provision of appropriate consultancy services involving OH&S
- Full-time role relating to the performance of OH&S risk assessment and management of safety audits of all types (not necessarily system audits).
The OH&S Scheme is based on the auditing key standards:
BS OHSAS 18001: Occupational health and safety management systems – Requirements (latest issue), HSG65 and BS8800 (latest issues).
ISO 45001: Occupational Health and Safety
Acceptable alternative standards
We may accept audits to alternative standards not listed on the IRCA certification scheme. To find out more please visit the Acceptable Alternative Standards page.
Make an enquiry
Complete the form so that we can best advise you on your next steps to membership and future success.
Take your career to the next level and become a member.
Applying for IRCA certification FAQs
Frequently asked questions about applying for IRCA certification – covering application requirements, training courses and how to record your audit experience.